6) Discover your interests and the things that inspire you. I remember going to music shows and concerts of great players where I always learned new things. This was indeed an inspiration within me. I learned various techniques to improve my “solo” or be it “picking”. To see the great players perform flawlessly on stage drove me to improve my skills. Apart going for concerts you also need to develop a constant burning desire to improve yourself. Check out this link on more tips on 'How To Master Lead Guitar'
7) Set a goal and strategy to achieve it. Have you set a goal? Do you know how to achieve it? Imagine just in case if I shoot these questions standing right in front of you, would you be answerable? A correct strategy is the most vital element to success. I have come across people with scores of pessimism, negativities, fear of failure and lack of enthusiasm that blocks them to achieve what they had set their minds for. A good plan and strategy can overcome these negative thoughts in your mind.
8) Identify the “WHY” factor behind your GOAL. Believe me this is more important than the above!
9) The strategy that you device to attain your goals must be divided into three sections. It should have short and easy section, medium (Bit tough!) section and finally the most challenging (Ultimate) section. Write them on a paper so that you don’t forget!! Just by sitting and practicing without sequence will reap you no fruit guys. Remember our teachers always told us to learn basics first. It applies here as well. As you move to next section you will discover many great ideas your own way. Check out this link to Master Picking basics : 'Picking Basics'
10) I remember my good old days when I was learning guitar. Half of the time I used to dream becoming a perfect Guitarist. I always tried to play the difficult sections first without getting skilled in the easier ones. I realized it later that I was WRONG. I was wasting my time! There’s an old saying, “Don’t dream without doing!” So, dreaming is not bad, provided it has a meaning.